Senior Laboratory Technician
Responsible to the Laboratory Manager
To carry out laboratory testing, ordering and QC based tasks, project work along with junior staff support and other lab based functions that may be required.
Attributes of a SLT
The successful Laboratory technician will have a chemical background and be familiar with the laboratory environment via a chemical science based degree and >2years experience in a laboratory. They should be organised and have excellent time management skills with adaptability to work between the different environments of lab, factory and office. The Senior Laboratory technician will support junior lab technicians in training and projects and be comfortable to make chemical based decisions in the Laboratory manager's absence. The applicant must be able to communicate in written formats & verbally with accuracy and precision. They will need a good level of Maths.
Key tasks and Responsibilities
- Supporting junior lab technicians
- Quality control testing of chemical products and associated paperwork
- Chemical analysis and reporting (on water and solid samples) through technical requests
- Meeting lab targets on raw material approvals
- Investigating chemical issues
- Leading development projects and research work with the Laboratory Managers support
- Organising field staff chemical testing needs and development
- Environmental monitoring
- General Laboratory work and equipment maintenance
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all departments at B & V Water Treatment when required.
- Prioritise and reprioritise a high workload on a daily basis
- Training of field staff
Product and manufacturing set-up on internal manufacturing database
Measurable Accountabilities through demonstration of;
- Effective communication of lab results within the technical group and to the sales teams
- Time management and organisation skills
- Computer skills
- Producing reliable test results for which treatment recommendations can be made upon
- Reporting outcomes from problem product/ raw material investigations to the quality department
- Ensuring a high percentage of reagent orders are sent out within 5 working days
- Control of QC paperwork and addressing any key QC issues
- Working on and updating quality, environmental and testing logs
- Organising day to day workloads within the team
Providing technical testing and chemical advice internally and externally
- Chemical Science degree
- Good lab practice
- Analytical & data report writing
- Advanced Excel
- Water testing and treatment knowledge or Manufacturing/ production experience
Chemical health and safety
The role may be extended to include more specific duties as agreed with your line manager as part of your development plan and to achieve overall company objectives.
Company standards and procedures will be covered on appointment and adapted to company needs when required.